Cheese Balls November 17 2012
Tonight has been a cold, rainy night which made me craved for fresh, toasty breads with grilled cheese on top. After having this thought, I figured that I could combine the two together. Here it is! My very own Cheese Balls! It's so soft and moist inside, and every bite was filled with melted cheese inside. They have a bit of the fluffy texture like biscuits (American biscuits haha). It was a pretty perfect Cheese Ball for this cold evening.
Makes 8 dinner roll size balls. Total bake time 20-22 minutes.
2 cups of whole wheat or all-purpose flour (I used pastry whole wheat flour)
1/3 cup diced cheese (I used aged cheddar)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons of sea salt
2 teaspoons of grind pepper
2 teaspoons of sugar
a few thin slices of pickled jalapenos (optional)
3/4 - 1 cup buttermilk (will need to see dough to judge)
olive oil (I used garlic flavored olive oil)
• Preheat oven to 350F
• Grease baking pan with olive oil
• Combine all dry ingredients and most of the cheese in a mixing bowl then mix well. Save a small amount of cheese to place on top of bread later.
• Slowly pour buttermilk in and continue to mix until everything turns into sticky, wet dough.
• Use your hands and remove the dough and make a ball. Next, cut the ball in half, then cut the halves in half then another half so you get 8 equal wedge of dough.
• Gently work each wedge dough to shape them into a ball, you will have 8 balls total. No need to knead the dough, just gently shape them.
• Grease each ball with olive oil then place them on the baking sheet.
• Place in oven to bake for 10 mins.
• Get a small bowl of olive oil and brush ready. Open oven and brush a coat of olive oil on top of each ball. Put back in oven and let back another 5mins then brush oil on top again and place a few strips of cheese on top of each ball.
• Put back in oven and let it bake for another 5-7 minutes until cheese melts on top and just start to brown.
• Serve hot as snack or entree!